Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting

So I went out and rocked the vote. I think.

Port Ewen, NY (the district that I registered with as I am still technically a resident here) has a really bizarre voting system. Maybe I forgot about going through it 4 years ago, but there's something undeniably unsatisfying about voting on a mechanical lever machine.

You go in, you pull a lever to close the curtains, you mark your votes by switching certain levers from horizontal to diagonal, then you pull the curtain lever back and everything goes back to neutral. Then you exit the booth, feeling a bit like nothing just happened. No "Thank you for your vote!" or other phyiscal proof that your vote got counted. I may be spoiled from all these internet instant-email-notification responses like when you buy something or pay a bill online, but it would be nice if I could get some sort of response to make sure that I haven't disenfranchised myself.

All that being said, I will be eagerly awaiting the results tonight. Election-night drinking game, anyone? One drink for every state Obama wins and two for every McCain wins?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I actually love the lever machines. When I was little my parents would take me in with them and let me pull the levers, and it was fun. And oh, the satisfying K-CHUNK! of the curtain lever. Weird, weird nostalgia.